KBUCHESVARA TEMPLE Back
BRIEF HISTORY:The temple was built by Buchiraja, an officer under Hoysala Narasimh was consecrated in A.D. 1173 in commemoration of the coronation of Ballala II. It has a garbhagriha, a sukanasi, a navaranga and a mukhamandapa and a shrine of Surya to the east of mukhamandapa. The mukhamandapa is pierced with entrances at north and south. The southern entrance of the mukhamandapa has an elegant dwarapalla and chamaradharini sculptures. The pillars of this mandapa are bell shaped lathe turned and banded stellate type. The central sunken ceiling is highly ornate with concentric cupsed arch designs.

The mahamandapa has six niches in its walls which contain figures of saptamatrikas, Mahishamardini, Ganesa and Sarasvati etc. The adhishthana of mukhamandapa is treated with pilaster turrets and scrolls etc. T he walls of the temple is a total deviation from the conventional ornate variety. According to the indented plan the entire temple including surya shrine save mukhamandapa, has slender elongated pilasters stretched upto architrave level at the corners of the offset and the interspace between these pilasters are various deities under and against pilaster turrets of different types like nagara, dravida, vesara, and bhumija. The pilaster sculptures are used as narrative panels of the episodes of the Bhagavata like Prahlada, Arjuna shooting matsya yantra etc.

The bhitti is treated with various other sculptures of Bhairava, Sarasvati, Durga, Umamahesvara, Narasimha, Brahma, Dakshinamurti, Kaliyamarda Vamana Trivikrama and Venugopala, etc. The vimana is a chatushtala vesara vimana with stylized hara of each tala meticulously treated with sculptures of yaksha, yakshi aspects of siva and Vishnu.
 
   
APPROACH:
INTERNATION AIRPORT: Bangalore
RAILWAY STATION : Hassan
BUS STATION : Hassan
Copyright 2011 by ASI Bengaluru Circle. All right reserved | Design by : YelloPixel